Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Naughts that which scribble.

Scribblenaughts for the Nintendo DS reminds me of a very clever game akin to one you would find on Newgrounds. It even looks like it was made using a flash program. The only problem is...this is not a game I would pay full price for. I rented it from my local Blockbuster at the corner. Granted, I would never pay full price for a puzzle game to begin with.

The objective in each level is simply "Get the Star". However, there's obligatory shit in the way of getting said star, or there's an objective to fulfill to make the star appear. To solve each puzzle, you need to summon objects by writing out what you want to us. Type JETPACK like I tend to do a lot, and you get a jetpack to help you across the chasms. Type PISTOL, and you get a gun to shoot things with. You're starting to get the idea.

Just screwing around, I typed in GOD, and got a bearded man in a white robe. Fascinated, I typed SATAN, which summoned the devil. The two started fighting until one of them exploded in a cloud of smoke. I laughed.

Essentially, what we have, is a game about thinking outside the box and utilizing problem solving skills using tools we think will work in a given situation. Sure, it would make sense to cut down that tree with the star in it with an AXE and fall it at that...but I found it more interesting to summon a BEAVER and let him do the work.

It's amusing, but not without it's flaws...

For one, moving around is a pain in the padded rear. It's one of those games where you have to use the stylus to do everything. The face buttons and d-pad move the camera. And the very loose physics will bounce items around across the board if your run into them.

Again, I wouldn't recommend paying full price for this game, as I forsee this game going to the $9.99 fairly quickly anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment